Monday, March 14, 2011

Cheesy Indulgence #1 - Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and Walnuts

With the hubby out in Utah on Spring Break I'm rolling out the fancy foods and indulging in all things that he can't have.  

Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and Walnuts, Broccoli and Peasant Bread

This past winter I attempted gnocchi several times, but they never turned out quite like what you get from the store.  I plan to try again this summer but for this recipe I went with Trader Joes, they always have tasty gnocchi.  I wish that the boy liked pasta more, because not only is it delicious but its FAST.  This definitely fits into the 15 minutes and under category. And its GOOD.

Gnocchi with Gorgonzola and Walnuts
adapted from Simply Delicious
Ingredients:

500g Gnocchi (the usual package size)
150 ml cream (about 6 ounces)
50g Gorgonzola (about 1/2 cups)
50g Parmesan, grated (about 1/2 cup)
2-3 tbsn walnuts, finely chopped (I used walnut halves, for a bit of crunch)
salt and pepper
2 tsp lemon juice (I used half a lemon, deseeded)
fresh parsley (I forgot this at the store so I used dried) 



First, fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil, this is to cook the gnocchi in.

Meanwhile, combine the cream and both cheeses in a pan over low heat.  

Heat until the cheese has fully melted, be sure to stir often to avoid burning or sticking. 

Once the cheese has melted, remove from heat and stir in the lemon, salt and pepper to taste and the walnuts.

Now, back to your water, once its boiling add a dash of salt and the gnocchi.

When the gnocchi start to float, they're done!  Usually about 2 minutes. 

Drain the gnocchi. 

And add the cheese sauce.

Mix it all up and add the parsley and a few more walnuts. 

Its as simple as that!


I wish that I had thought ahead and had some asparagus on hand to pair with this dish, but the broccoli was tasty as well and with a nice glass of white wine I was a happy camper.  To finish the evening off right, I watched that terrible 2000 remake of Charlies Angels and The Easy A.  I loved both :)

No comments: