Monday, April 25, 2011

Positively Leaky Lemon Chicken

I first made this dish a while back and forgot to start taking pictures until I was more or less ready to toss it in the oven.  It was a huge success with the hubby though, so I knew I'd be making it again and getting a second chance to share. 

Leaky Lemon Chicken

Once again I found this lovely via foodgawker and when I went back to find the post I realized its from the same Chicago lady as my  Strawberry scones!  Just another reminder to go back and read your favorite foodie blogs and you never know what you'll find :)

You'll need:

3.5 - 4 lb chicken
2 lemons
salt and pepper
assorted veggies for baking. 
I used 1 red onion, 1 leek, 3 carrots and a handful of potatoes.

Start by rolling your lemons until they are nice and soft.  Then pierce them all over with a knife, like you would a potato for baking.  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Wash and dry your chicken then shove both lemons into the cavity, being careful not to rip the skin. 

Now, the only tricky part, find some kitchen twine or prongs to close the opening.

I broke a kabob in half and used that.  It worked great. 

For my veggies, I cut a red onion in half, made some slits to loosen the half and placed them in the corners to roast.  


I also cut up a leek to add extra flavor to the potatoes and carrots. 

My pan, ready for the carrots and potatoes.

Once you've chopped all the veggies and added them to the pan, add the chicken, breast side down and add salt and pepper. 

Bake for 30 minutes.  Then turn the chicken, being careful to not rip the skin and turn the oven up to 425 degrees.  Bake for another 40-45 minutes, or until the chicken is done.  

You'll note that I did NOT add any olive oil or other liquid to the pan, that's because the lemons explode with juice!  Check out that drop on the leg.

And all the juice remaining in the bottom of the pan.  All the veggies were roasted through with a great lemony flavor. 

As the skin roasts, it creates air pockets, on both legs of mine there was a large bubble bursting with lemon juice.  Once the chicken is done, be very careful when removing the lemons, they are still very full of juice and might burst if punctured.  They're also really hot!

Add some Sam and you're all set!

No comments: