Thursday, February 10, 2011

Chickpeas with Turmeric

Eating all this chicken has really challenged me to find new and interesting recipes every night for dinner.  Yesterday's dinner of Chicken and Chickpeas with Turmeric really surprised me.  I figured it would taste pretty good, and turmeric isn't a spice I use all that often, but this was GOOD and the hubby gave his consent to add it to the "make often list."   I love when dinner is a success!
Chicken and Chickpeas with Turmeric, Couscous and Salad
This recipe came from The New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden and originally doesn't call for chicken, but I had half a breast leftover in the fridge and the boy won't accept a dinner without meat. So, I added shredded chicken. 

You will need:
1 large onion, chopped.
3 cloves garlic, mashed (this is my new favorite way to cook with garlic, its so easy! Just mash the clove on the side of your knife).
2 tablespoons olive oil.
1 can chickpeas, drained.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or tagine, add chopped onion and cook until soft and starting to brown.
When the onions are ready, add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, then add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
Mix the turmeric into the onions and garlic, then add the chickpeas and about 3/4 cup of water.
Simmer the chickpeas for 20-30 minutes, or until they are soft and have absorbed all the liquid. 
While the chickpeas were simmering, I made a salad and cooked up some couscous. The hubby even helped by making some fresh salad dressing! 
Once the chickpeas are soft, add the shredded chicken and salt and pepper to taste. 
When the chicken is warm, mix in a large handful of chopped cilantro and cook for another 5 minutes. 
Paired with couscous, this is fabulous!  Enjoy!

No comments: