Friday, February 25, 2011

Moroccan Coucous alla Cuenta

Its Friday :) and J is feeling much improved so I'm making real dinner this evening.  A tagine inspired from this post that I found while browsing at work on Thursday. 


I have to confess that I didn't really do any homework on the recipe and when I started I failed to note just how large a recipe it was.  Last minute modifications and quick fixes were in order, the jury is still out on how I did.

Moroccan Coucous alla Cuenta
adapted from A Ojo

Start with 4 onions, divided in half and cut into thin strips.

You also need 2 tomatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, seeds removed as best you can. (Check out this posting on how to quick peel tomatoes)

For the Onion Sauce:

In a saucepan heat 3 tbps (originally it calls for 1 cup!) olive oil and add half of the onions and a dash of salt.
Heat, stirring often, at medium-low for 5 minutes.

Add the spices: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  1 teaspoon each: pepper and cumin
1 bay leaf
If you have them, substitute 1 teaspoon Moroccan spices and add 1/2 teaspoons of pepper and cumin.
Stir and cook for 30 minutes.

This is about when I realized that I had forgotten to halve the spices and olive oil when I halved the onions.  (The original recipe called for 4 onions) I also realized that I needed the tagine to cook the meat, so I made a quick trip to the sink to halve the liquid in the pan and switched to my cast iron skillet to finish cooking.  I also added about a 1/4 cup of water to help soften the onions.

Looks better huh?
After about 30 minutes, add a handful of raisins (J hates raisins and had a small fit when he found them - but poop on him they're important for flavor - at least that's what I told him!)

Set aside until the meat is done.

The Meat:

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in pan over high heat, add meat.  I used stew beef but lamb would also work.

Once the meat starts to brown, lower heat to low (see the pan swap?) and add the remaining onions and the tomatoes.

add all the spices:
1 teaspoon each: Black pepper, cumin and cinnamon
1 bay leaf and 1/4 cup water.

Stir and cover, cook for about 2 hours or until sauce has thickened and combined.

Mine at about 45 minutes.

Done, at just about 2 hours.

Don't forget the cous cous!

No comments: