Wednesday, January 19, 2011

just a little history please...

  
From left, Greg Kinnear (as John F. Kennedy), Katie Holmes and Barry Pepper in “The Kennedys.” curtesy of the NYTimes.
I love the History Channel.  I don't love all the new reality tv shows that are overwhelming the quality shows that the History channel used to be all about.  I want to watch shows on Egypt, the Classics, Modern Marvels, even Monster Quest is better than Ax Men, Ice Road Truckers and the like.  Which is why I was pretty excited for the Kennedys mini-series that was set to come out this year.  It stars Greg Kinnear and Katie Holmes and was supposed to be an in depth look at the lives of JFK and Jacqueline Kennedy.  Yesterday, the NYTimes reported that the History Channel has dropped the series, citing historical inaccuracies large enough that they go against what the History Channel represents.   Oh bah.  
I mean, I understand the problem that the History channel is facing and can see why airing it would be problematic. But at the same time, you can't tell me that they don't amplify the drama on the reality tvs shows they air so frequently to enhance the suspense.  The kind of ridiculous drama which also  makes them unrealistic.  Case in point, IRT Deadliest Roads.  I saw an episode the other day where the woman driver had dismissed her spotter and was out driving on her own - only to have the local men try to break into her truck everytime she got stuck in traffic because they had never seen a woman truck driver before.  Tell me that's realistic.  Never would the woman fire the spotter who's there to keep her safe, unless she was on a reality tv program and needed to up the suspense to get better ratings. 

I'm not saying that History Channel was wrong to drop the Kennedys, I am saying that I'd like to see some real historical programs make their way back into the weekly lineup.  I'm hoping that another channel, such as BBC America will take the series and air it.  Then have a special to discuss what was historically inaccurate about the program and give us a real version of the history that we're all craving. 





Besides, doesn't Katie Holmes make a great Jackie O?

No comments: