Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pocket pies! - the blueberry version

I can't remember the blog that inspired these beauties but the hubby loves them and with his ulcer has been asking for them like hotcakes. 

First you need crust.  I've been using the crust recipe from The Gypsy Chef's guinness stew because it always seems to turn out and its 100% J friendly without me having to alter anything. Actually, I guess I just skip the egg wash.  Whatever, its good.  I've also tried using a sweeter crust with sugar and oatmeal but then I get complaints about the 'oatmeal texture' so fine.  
 
I usually get about 4 pies out of the recipe and am very informal about making it into pockets.  Just divide into 4 sections and smash each section into a rough circle with either a rolling pin or I just use my palm. 
I forgot to take a picture of my pockets, but they're about the same size as these tops here.

For the filing:
I just threw these together and for the filling tossed in:
1 Tbsp of Flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
4-5 good shakes of cinnamon
and about 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (fresh are always better if you have them)
clearly, this is too much brown sugar for the small amount of blueberries I needed. Next time I'll use about 2-3 tablespoons and see how that looks.

Add the filling to the pocket and smush the edges together to close the pie.  Mine never look great, and often pop open during baking but they always taste good and that's what counts.
Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil to help with clean-up and toss them in the oven for about 35 minutes at 400 degrees!

No comments: