Wednesday, January 12, 2011

when it snows...

The view from my kitchen window

Its a blizzard outside which always makes me want to bake something warm and delicious smelling.  I found this cake while browsing through foodgawker.com yesterday and it definitely fits the bill.   I know its my second apple recipe this week but hey baked apples are tasty and its winter so I can make whatever I want!  Also, my husband currently has an ulcer and apple treats are one of the main things that don't seem to upset his stomach at all, so I'm taking advantage while I can :)  Once again, the original recipe is NOT friendly toward my husband, J's, allergies so I've combined and altered another recipe to make it work. 

The original recipe can be found at The Sweets Life blog and looks amazing. I am going to use the apple part of the original recipe for my cake and substitute the batter portion from Le Petit Brioche's blog that I've previously altered to be J friendly.  All said and done, here is what I came up with:

Apple Cinnamon Bread 
adapted from Le Petit Brioche's Lemon Blueberry Pull Apart Bread
and The Sweets Life's Apple Cinnamon Cake

Sweet Yeast Dough
About 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons (1 envelope) instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup apple juice
 4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup applesauce
Apple Mixture
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups chopped peeled Rome or Fuji apple (about 2 large)

To make the dough:

Mix together two cups of flour, sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. In the microwave, combine apple juice and butter and heat until butter has melted. Add water and let cool slightly before adding the vanilla extract.  Slowly add to flour mixture and mix until combined.


Add the applesauce and mix on low speed until just combined. Add 1/2 cup of remaining flour, scraping sides of bowl if needed. 


Mix on low until dough starts to look smooth, about 45 seconds.   Add a little shy of another 1/4 cup flour, mix, the dough should be smooth and soft but slightly sticky. 


Next, the dough needs to be kneaded to work the gluten.  It will also take care of the stickiness.  I'm using my Kitchenaid kneading hook for the first time, but you can also just flour the countertop and knead the dough by hand.  Add more flour if needed. 

In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup sugar with the cinnamon.  Add half the mixture to the peeled and chopped apples and mix together.

Mix the apples into the dough, kneading until just combined. 

Grease the pan you'll be baking in.  I'm going to make 4 mini loaves.  Place dough in pan and sprinkle tops with remaining cinnamon mixture. 

Cover pan with saran wrap or a tea towel and let rise for 30 to 50 minutes in a warm, dry place until dough has puffed up and almost doubled in size. 
Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes (check after 45). Cool loaves completely on a wire rack.

Now that is a treat worthy enough for a snow day.

No comments: