Friday, January 28, 2011

leftover pot pie?

The hubby wasn't too fond of dinner on Wednesday, and he was almost horrified when he heard it was all from leftovers - but after TRYING IT, he decided it wasn't "too bad".  Boys. What can you do?
The leftovers: rice, onion confit, and chicken breast with kale and mushrooms
Leftover Pot Pie and some Trader Joes Cornbread (J-friendly style)
A good pot pie has to have a good crust.  I like this recipe from the Gypsy Chef - the Old Timer's Steak and Guinness Pie is also amazing.  While the dough was chilling in the fridge, I shredded the chicken.
and added it to the rice. 
Everything is better with bacon, so I decided last minute to add that to my pie. (I also love the taste of kale cooked in bacon fat. )
 
Once the bacon was done, I drained about half of the grease and then added the leftover onion confit and let it simmer.
While that was simmering, I crushed the bacon and added it to the chicken and rice mixture.
Then I sliced up some mushrooms and add them to the onions.
While that cooked, I cut up some kale.
and then added it to the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Once the kale was bright green I added about a 1/4 cup of water to the pan, and let it simmer until the water had almost completely evaporated. 
Then I added another 1/4 cup of water and simmered until the kale was cooked.  
Meanwhile, I started on the dough.  I usually get about 4 small crusts out of the recipe, in this case 2 for dinner and 2 for dessert!
I don't usually use a bottom crust, my ramkins are so tiny I like to get as much filling in them as I can. Here are my two tops.
When the kale was cooked, I added it to the chicken and stirred it all together.
  Then I filled the ramkins and added the tops. 
They took about 35 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees.
I'm not sure I'll ever make this again, but as an I have no plans for dinner, what do I make? I thought this turned out pretty well. 

No comments: